What Does it Do?
DITA Metrics generates statistics for a document or a suite of documents. It accepts a DITAMAP, a DITAMAP of maps, or a text file list of DITAMAPs as input. Based on the input DITA Metrics crawls through all of the links and generates the following totals and percentages for words, topics, tasks and bodies.
- Published Words
- Words Counted Once
- Referenced Words
- Words Referenced Percentage
- Words Reuse Percentage
- Published Topics
- Topics Counted Once
- Referenced Topics
- Topics Referenced Percentage
- Topics Reuse Percentage
- Published Bodies
- Bodies Counted Once
- Referenced Bodies
- Bodies Referenced Percentage
- Bodies Reuse Percentage
- Published Tasks
- Tasks Counted Once
- Referenced Tasks
- Tasks Referenced Percentage
- Tasks Reuse Percentage
- Total referenced elements percentage
- Total reused elements percentage
It then produces an CSV report and a text file report with all of these statistics. The CSV file is suitable for copying into or referencing from a spreadsheet used for producing charts in productivity reports.
How does it Work?
As DITA Metrics builds a database of what elements it has encountered, where the have been encountered, and keeps a count of all the words and elements.
- You should set the default "Output Root" and "Backup Root" directory under "Default Settings". This makes all modules in the Samalander Software Center easier to use.
How to Use the Samalander DITA Metrics Module
- Open the DITA Metrics module. This dialog appears:
- Select the input type: a DITAMAP or a batch file.
A batch file is text file listing the paths and names to DITAMAPs. Click here to see a sample batch file.
- Type or paste the input file or directory name and path. You can use the "Browse" button to the right to select the file.
- Type or paste the output CSV report file name and path. You can use the "Browse" button to the right to select the file.
- Type or paste the output text report file name and path. You can use the "Browse" button to the right to select the file.
- Click "Run". The reports will be written to the locations specified in steps 4 and 5.